Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tools & Tikal

Yesterday we visited a student center & church partner just a few minutes away in Flores. I don't have the project name handy as I am currently cruising at 60,000 ft. I am trying to add a picture this time for the more visual reader. This visit was unusual as it was our only visit without an interaction with children or families.

We worked half the day on different projects from painting to sanding to framing a wall. What stood out to me was the young pastor of the church & student center staff. It is obvious in North American society today that young men & women who walk the walk & put their faith into action are the exception rather than the rule. You could tell that these people had vision & purpose. They care about the lives of these impoverished young people...they are not self-absorbed & insensitive as many of my generation are. Sorry, thirty-somethings church-goers, but it's true. You could see in their eyes their heart for the next generation.

We were closing in on the end of the work when a team member & I noticed the need for more tools. We asked a couple translators to join us in walking down the street to a local hardware store. We did not hesitate to buy some tools & lightbulbs for the center. However, it was obvious that they could use so...much...more. AND it is all within a stone's throw away. These workers give so much of themselves & there are little resources to walk a few feet away & get it. This tore me up inside. I prayed "Dear God, please bless this staff & help this center along (more or less)." I wonder now, nearly 24 later...will I continue that prayer? Couldn't I help them more? It would & did take so very little to assist them in God's work in their (His) ministry to these children. However, I thank the Lord for Compassion Int'l being there in the first place. Where would it be without them/us?

The other major event was a brief but fascinating trip to Tikal, the center of the ancient Mayan civilization. The ruins were absolutely amazing. Wait till I have time to post pictures! We hiked back to through the dense jungle, back in time over 1000 years. We saw monkeys, wild turkeys & other creatures along the way. There were so many buildings, stone reliefs, walls, plazas & the famous pyramids. The best & most magnificent experience was the climb up near the top of the tallest pyramid, 212 ft! It was quite a trek, but well worth it. The view, though scary as it is for a person like me who is afraid of heights, was unbelievable! All you see is jungle for miles...& the other 5 structures that the Mayans built. Simply. Amazing.
***Visit http://www.JustLoveCoffee.com/TeamCrawford to help us in our adoption quest & enjoy some great coffee in the process.*** Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers