Thursday, October 14, 2010

To operate or not, that is the question...

I thought I should update you on my visit with the neurosurgeon. He said that the nerve conduction test confirmed damage just as anticipated. I asked every question I could think of, most significantly whether he would have surgery if he were me. He said that he would put it off as long as possible, but is willing to do it at any time since there is enough validity at this point to move on it.




The two last-ditch modalities he suggested were acupuncture (calling today for an appointment) and an inversion table. I have been attempting to find a cheap table and/or borrow one to see if it would help. My PT and OT friends don't think it will help me, but the surgeon seems to think it is worth a shot. So I am looking into that as well.



If those options don't work and/or I get worse (every week my nerve problems increase slightly) or timing is right and I can no longer put it off I will make arrangements for it to be in winter 2011 (January/February) at the earliest. Good news is that there is now another option in between fusion (my main problem is the degenerative disk disease) and the laminectomy /framinectomy (nerve decompression). It's called an Aspen Plate. Check it out here: http://www.lanx.com/products-aspen-spinous-process-fixation-system.aspx. I would definitely consider that to be the best option for me. It is a new procedure so I would also like to delay to see the long-term data. But, my surgeon is as conservative as they come and he has joined the 'band-wagon' on this one.

PS This blog is way overdue for redesign and relaunch. Look for a newer, improved and regularly update version sometime in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers